Friday, February 16, 2007

Greenitechture

Here's a tongue-in-cheek look at why we need to do more as architects to build sustainably.



There are whole books that have been written on sustainable architecture. And the area of study is really quite wide, covering issues like new materials, harnessing energy, politics, business, etc. We recently had a workshop in NUS where we discussed many of these issues. I will try to upload our findings once I have collated all the information from the different groups.

I believe building sustainably will be the way the industry has to move towards given the global climate changes that we are experiencing, that is largely the cause of the Greenhouse effect. I doubt changing to an alternate means of harnessing energy - from fossil fuel (eg. coal) to nuclear is goign to be enough. There is a need to use our resources more responsibly and I will try to write about that in another post.